Bowel Prep Instructions
ONE WEEK PRIOR TO YOUR PROCEDURE:
- DO NOT STOP TAKING ANY MEDICATION WITHOUT INSTRUCTIONS FROM YOUR DOCTOR.
- If you normally take antibiotics before procedures, be sure to tell us.
- If you take aspirin, ibuprofen, vitamins, herbal supplements, blood thinners (such as Coumadin, Plavix, Aggrenox), or any arthritis medications check with your doctor for instructions about taking these medications.
At least 2 days before your procedure purchase over the counter 4 Dulcolax (bisacodyl) laxative tablets, Miralax (238 gram bottle), and 64 ounces (2 quarts) of Gatorade in a flavor not red, purple, or green in color.
THE DAY BEFORE YOUR PROCEDURE:
In the morning, mix the entire bottle of Miralax with the 64 ounces (2 quarts) of Gatorade. Shake well to mix and place in the refrigerator to chill.
You will be on a CLEAR LIQUID diet the entire day of the preparation.
You may not consume:
- Any items red, purple, or green in color
- Dairy products or orange juice with pulp
- Alcoholic beverages
Some items that are allowed include:
- Water, strained fruit juices, Gatorade,
- Kool-Aid, tea, coffee, sodas
- Chicken or beef broth or bullion
- Gelatin (Jell-O) flavors that are not red, purple, or green.
At 9:00 AM, take all 4 Dulcolax tablets with at least 2 glasses of any clear liquid.
At 11:00 AM, start drinking the Gatorade solution. Drink 1, 8-ounce glass every 10-15 minutes. Drink each glass quickly rather than drinking small amounts continuously. Be sure to drink all of the solution. You can have other approved clear liquids while drinking the mixture.
NOTHING TO EAT OR DRINK AFTER MIDNIGHT THE NIGHT BEFORE YOUR PROCEDURE.
THE DAY OF YOUR PROCEDURE:
- If you normally take heart, blood pressure, breathing or seizure medications in the morning, you may take those medications with a minimal amount of water.
If you have any question, please call the office at (254) 230-1234.